Friday, August 28, 2009

Ten Years

Every year, in August, my employer has a corn roast for all the employees at our headquarters. This amounts to about 200 or so people enjoying a typical burger, dogs & corn on the cob picnic in the center of the factory. It's a clean factory since our products are mostly made of stainless steel, with the occasional brand new diesel engine making its way around the assembly area.

The lunchtime gala concludes with presentation of the service awards to employees making their milestones in 5 year increments. Those who qualify, get one of those corporate gift catalogs earlier in the year, to select their award. Usually cheesy, tacky gifts, but it's the thought that counts. This year, on November 15th, marks my 10th year with the company. I received the 10 year catalog a couple of months ago. Most gifts had little appeal to me until I got to the watch & clock page. While there were no Jaeger LeCoultre Atmos clocks on that page, I spied a decent looking Swiss Army watch.

I have never owned anything Swiss Army other than a knife and it was probably a knockoff. I decided to select it. Then I promptly forgot what I selected until my name was called this past Wednesday and I opened up the box. To my pleasure I inspected the wristwatch pictured here.

It is a Swiss Army Mens Calendar Garrison model #241083. Though a quartz and not an automatic or manual wind, I am immensely pleased with it's look and 40mm diameter. Nice leather band, too. Sized perfectly for my wrist.

I do think it's high time to own a military watch. Don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment